Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Colbert Report Creates Bad Rapport

Well s**t. My hometown finally gets its 15 seconds of fame, and it gets called crappy by a kooky talk show host.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that one Stephen Colbert made reference to beautiful Canton, Georgia, located north of Atlanta in the Appalachian foothills, as "crappy." Why he picked the county seat of Cherokee County is unclear. As the AJC points out, there are Cantons in 10 other states.

Mr. Colbert's report fails to note that he's never been to Canton, Georgia. I don't think he's fit to judge my little town, despite its shortcomings.

It seems to be doing just fine where it counts. It's added 12,000 residents in the last 8 years, making it one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. I don't think people would be flocking there if they thought it was "crappy."

The only people going to the Canton in Ohio are the members of Senator McCain's entourage. It's lost 2,000 people since the 2000 Census, typical of the rust belt.

I'm tempted to sink to Mr. Colbert's level and make fun of his hometown...except that it's my adopted hometown. That's right folks, he was born right here in Washington--city that I love. It's clearly not a crappy place.

So I won't sink to that level. I will encourage Mr. Colbert, however, to take the time to visit my hometown on the Etowah. I think Mr. Colbert would find that Canton is "More than a City."

The photo at top was taken (by me) in January 2008 from the Town Square, looking southeast into the intersection of Main and Church Streets.

1 comment:

Rob Pitingolo said...

Hey Matt, great blog! Keep up the good work. As a bit of a transit enthusiast myself, I have enjoyed reading what you have to say on a lot of transit related issues (and pretty much agree with you on everything). Hopefully we can get some progressive thinkers like yourself in leadership positions and make some of your transit plans a reality.