Thursday, August 7, 2008

Getting in the Groove

I should apologize for the sparseness of my posting lately. As you know, I moved a little over two weeks ago, and it has taken a lot of my free time getting used to the new place and making it home. Moving is never easy, but some moves are easier than others. In that regard, this one was pretty straight forward.

It feels great to be back in the city. I spent 4 years living in inner city Atlanta and my year in the 'burbs was not nearly as much fun. I commuted to work today by bicycle, something I couldn't have done from my old place very easily. And while I'm still getting to know DC's street network, the commute when off without any major glitches. I did almost get rear-ended once this morning, and I won't be taking New Jersey Avenue home in the afternoons anymore--the drivers there seem to think they're actually in New Jersey.

I just find cities so marvelous. It's a great feeling to live in a place where you can chat with your neighbors and walk to the corner market. There's a great little park less than a block from my place and traffic is pretty calm this far north of Downtown. At the same time, I have all the amenities I could ask for: Target, two supermarkets, restaurants, and some great bars are all within a 15 minute walk. I can get downtown in a little over a half hour on the Metro and biking there takes about the same time.

So, now that I've gotten most of the painting and unpacking done, I'll do my best to get back to a more regular posting schedule. Thanks for sticking with me!

No comments: