Sunday, August 23, 2009

Track Twenty-Nine: Two Years Old

It's hard to believe that I've been doing this for two years already. Blogging, I mean.

I'm afraid that my second year did not see me achieve my goal of three posts a week, but I feel my content is worth reading and informative. Hopefully, I'll do a better job in my third year of increasing both the quantity and quality of my musings.

A look back on the last year is in order, I suppose.

During my second year in Washington and my second year as a blogger, I've increased the sphere of my writing. I now write a weekly feature for The New Gay, called Newsprints, and a biweekly column for the same publication, known as Dispatches from Left Field. In addition, I've started writing for Greater Greater Washington, with much of that content crossposted here.

In terms of my Washington explorations, my travels on the Metro have added a few stations from last year, but no new territory. I've still never ridden the Red Line north of Rockville or the Green Line south of Southern Avenue. But I've used (entered or exited the faregates) quite a few stations. I only lack two in Montgomery County and four in the District of Columbia. Prince George's County and Virginia are a bit more daunting, but I'm sure I'll get up to 100% one of these days. At the moment, I'm at 68 out of 86, so my batting average is 79%.


Another goal of mine is to ride every rail transit system in America. I'm always gaining and losing ground (because they keep opening new systems). In the last year, I've added a few:

Caltrain,

San Jose LRT,

ACE,

Sacramento LRT,

Minneapolis' Hiawatha Line - which I did not get any pictures of,

The Charlotte Trolley,

Music City Star,

Metro North,

The Long Island Railroad - which I did not get a picture of, and

AirTrain JFK - which I also have not photographed.

I suppose the largest development in the past year was my graduation from graduate school at the University of Maryland. Now, I'm officially an Urban Planner. I've also moved in with my boyfriend of two years, which has been great.

I'm looking forward to another great year at Track Twenty-Nine. But I'd like to know, What would you like to see?

As always, thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your map of visited stations, but I don't see any stations marked with an "*" showing where you used a fare card machine.

Do you have a secret way on getting on the Metro and would you be so kind as to share it?

Thanks, :) Frank

Froggie said...

To be fair, you're not missing much south of Southern Ave...

CherryBlossomMJ said...

Matt - Have you seen and/or noticed my latest "family" photos? I expected some sort of acknowledgment, but no... *sigh*

http://cherryblossommj.blogspot.com